Information for Participants – 2024
Thank you for your interest in creating a scarecrow display. This document has been created to give you all the information you need to take part. Please read it carefully so that you understand what you need to do, by when and also how the process will work.
You can download a pdf version of this page here:
This Year’s Theme
“The Olympics” This can be any of the summer, winter or para Olympics.
- All completed registrations must be received by the end of 31st May 2024.
- All displays must be complete and on show by the end of Wednesday 3rd July 2024.
- The Trail Numbers will be delivered and photos taken on Thursday 4th July 2024.
- The trail will be live between Friday 5th July and Saturday 20th July 2024.
Free Straw Available to Participants
It may be possible to obtain some free straw for use in your displays, depending on demand. We realise that not everyone will be using this material, but if you are in need of some for your display please notify us before 15th June using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be able to provide you with more details.
Between now and 3rd July you need to:
- Register your intention to take part by completing the registration form (by 31st May)
- Design and build your display
What will happen from 3rd July onwards?
The organisers will visit each display on the 4th July to add a laminated display number and take a photograph. The photographs will be uploaded to the website so that people who are unable to visit your display in person can still enjoy it!
The judges will visit displays at times convenient to them from 5th July, recording their scores and comments.
We will be using the same categories again this year.
There are 5 categories/criteria that all displays will be judged against:
- Best interpretation of the theme
- Most imaginative display
- Highest craftsmanship shown
- Best use of reusable and recycled materials
- Most visual impact overall
The judges will be looking for displays that exemplify the criteria. When designing and constructing your display please try and take the criteria into account to maximise your chance of achieving the best possible result.
There will be a winner in each of the 5 categories selected by the judging panel.
In addition there will also be a public vote to decide the people’s choice winner. As well as the ability to vote online, you will also be able to pick up a voting form from the community shop.
Champion of Champions
There will also be a Champion of Champions winner decided by the judging panel from the winners of the people’s choice and the 5 categories above. The Champion of Champions will be presented with the trophy to keep for a year.
The judging process has been designed to make it as fair and equitable a process as possible. We have looked at the methods used in other scarecrow trails to assist us. The following process has been designed so that no single judge can have a major effect on the final outcome.
The following process will apply:
- No judge will be allowed to judge their own display.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
- Judges are not allowed to discuss their scores or thoughts on the displays with anyone outside the judging panel.
- Individual judges will judge a single criteria.
- There will be more than 1 judge for each criteria.
- Judges will be provided with personalised judging forms to complete and these will be returned to the organisers.
- The public vote will be available from 12 noon on Friday 5th July and will close at 12 noon on Saturday 20th July.
- On Sunday 21st July a meeting will take place involving all the judges and the organisers to look at the collated scores and decide the final placements.
- Winners will be notified by the evening of 22nd July.
- Every participant will receive a personalised certificate, which will be emailed to them.
The Judging Panel
The judging panel will be published as soon as it is confirmed.
The following people are operating as the organisers on behalf of the Parish Council. They do not have any voting rights but will be facilitating the process:
- Lauren Colville
- Sam Denny
- Paul Varey
How to contact us
If you have any problems or questions you can contact us at email@example.com