Information for Participants – July 2021
Thank you for your interest in creating a scarecrow display. This document has been created to give you all the information you need to take part. Please read it carefully so that you understand what you need to do, by when and also how the process will work.
You can download a pdf version of this page here:
This Year’s Theme
“The Animal Kingdom”
- All completed registrations must be received by the end of Sunday 30th May 2021.
- The final display name and the fascinating fact(s) must be entered into the registration form (you will receive a link via email allowing you to edit it when you register) by the end of Sunday 27th June.
- All displays must be complete and on show by the end of Thursday 15th July 2021.
- The Trail Numbers will be delivered and photos taken on Friday 16th July 2021.
- The trail will be live between Saturday 17th July and Saturday 31st July 2021.
- The winners will be announced on 25th July 2021.
- Displays must be removed as soon as possible after Saturday 31st July 2021.
Free Straw Available to Participants
It may be possible to obtain some free straw for use in your displays, depending on demand. We realise that not everyone will be using this material, but if you are in need of some for your display please notify us before the end of June using the email address email@example.com and we will be able to provide you with more details.
Between now and 15th July you need to:
- Register your intention to take part by completing the registration form (by 30th May)
- Design and build your display
- Finalise your display name
- Find at least one fascinating fact about your chosen animal (max. 100 words) to give some background information on your display for both the public and the judges.
- By the end of Sunday 27th June, enter the final display name and the fascinating fact(s) into the registration form (you will receive a link via email allowing you to edit it when you register).
What will happen from 15th July onwards?
The organisers will visit each display on the 16th July to add a laminated display number and take a photograph. The photographs will be uploaded to the website so that people who are unable to visit your display in person can still enjoy it!
The judges will visit displays at times convenient to them from 17th July, recording their scores and comments.
The feedback from last year confirmed that most people felt the categories were correct and so we will be using the same categories again this year.
There are 5 categories/criteria that all displays will be judged against:
- Best interpretation of the theme
- Most imaginative display
- Highest craftsmanship shown
- Best use of reusable and recycled materials
- Most visual impact overall
The judges will be looking for displays that exemplify the criteria. When designing and constructing your display please try and take the criteria into account to maximise your chance of achieving the best possible result.
There will be a winner in each of the 5 categories selected by the judging panel.
In addition there will also be a public vote to decide the people’s choice winner. This year, as well as the ability to vote online, you will also be able to pick up a voting form from the community shop.
Champion of Champions
There will also be a Champion of Champions winner decided by the judging panel from the winners of the people’s choice and the 5 categories above. The Champion of Champions will be presented with the trophy to keep for a year.
There will be no prizes this year as the feedback we received last year indicated strongly that this was unnecessary.
The judging process has been designed to make it as fair and equitable a process as possible. We have looked at the methods used in other scarecrow trails to assist us. The following process has been designed so that no single judge can have a major effect on the final outcome.
The following process will apply:
- No judge will be allowed to judge their own display.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
- Judges are not allowed to discuss their scores or thoughts on the displays with anyone outside the judging panel.
- Individual judges will judge a single criteria.
- There will be more than 1 judge for each criteria.
- Judges will be provided with personalised judging forms to complete and these will be returned to the organisers.
- The public vote will be available from 17th July and will close at 12 noon on 25th July.
- On 25th July a meeting will take place involving all the judges and the organisers to look at the collated scores and decide the final placements.
- Winners will be notified by email or telephone on the evening of 25th July.
- Every participant will receive a personalised certificate, which will be emailed to them.
The Judging Panel
The judging panel will be published as soon as it is confirmed.
The following people are operating as the organisers on behalf of the Parish Council. They do not have any voting rights but will be facilitating the process:
- Lauren Colville
- Paul Varey
How to contact us
If you have any problems or questions you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org