The Parish Council has worked with NextDoor to create an online community exclusively for our parish. Only residents of the parish can join the online neighbourhood and we hope it will allow us to further increase community cohesion, improve communication and provide a useful service for all parish residents.
Next door can be found at https://nextdoor.co.uk/ and their website states:
“Nextdoor is the world’s largest neighbourhood website and app. Nextdoor enables truly local conversations that empower neighbours to build stronger, safer and happier communities.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth and the reality that neighbourhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been a guiding principle for Nextdoor since it was founded in 2011. Today, Nextdoor supports more than 240,000 neighbourhoods around the world. Neighbours in the United Kingdom, United States, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark and Australia are using Nextdoor to:
- Find trustworthy local services, such as babysitters, plumbers and electricians
- Share information on crime and suspicious behaviour
- Organise neighbourhood events, such as street parties and fêtes
- Help in finding lost pets or items
- Sell or give away items like an old kitchen table or bike”
“Nextdoor makes it safe to share online the kinds of things you’d be okay sharing with your neighbours in person. Here’s how:
- Every neighbour has to verify their address
- Every neighbour signs in with their real name
- Private neighbourhood conversations are not indexed in search engines
- Your website is protected by password and encrypted by HTTPS
- We never share your personal info with advertisers
- We store all EU User Data on EU Servers
- We’re committed to the privacy standards established by the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)”
How to Register
To register on NextDoor you go to their website at https://nextdoor.co.uk/ and fill in your details. If you read their terms and conditions it is really important that everyone uses their real names and that you do not use family accounts but rather each individual creates their own account. That way everyone knows who they are communicating with.
You will receive an email from NextDoor to allow you to verify your account. Please check your junk mail folder if you do not receive the email within a reasonable timeframe.
Please note that some users who have registered using Google related email addresses have been prompted asking if they wish to allow NextDoor access to their Contacts list. This message is not from NextDoor and you can safely say no to the request. Users not using Google related email addresses have not seen this request.
If you need help
NextDoor have a very good online support service that you can access at email@example.com